Thursday, November 26, 2009

Today I Am Thankful

"How good it is to be well-fed, healthy,
and kind, all at the same time!" ~Henry Heimlich, MD


In keeping with the McDougall lifestyle, to my husband's chagrin, I did not go the Tofurky route this year. Instead, I started cooking days ahead for what I knew would turn out to be an even more satisfying holiday meal for us both. When all was said and done, Mark agreed! Pictured above is a glimpse of our holiday table. Clockwise from the top are Mary McDougall's Holiday Stuffing and Maple Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Mollie Katzen's Acorn Squash Stuffed with Apple-Almond-Cherry Basmati Pilaf, Ceasar Salad made with Mary McDougall's Creamy Ceasar Salad Dressing, and Susan Voisin's Impromptu Mushroom Gravy. And yes, that's canned jellied cranberry sauce in the upper right-hand corner. Mark likes it, and I wasn't going to argue with him just because I think homemade cranberry sauce is better. I was happy to find an organic brand that didn't have any nasty high-fructose corn syrup in it.


Also from Susan Voisin's Fat-Free Vegan Kitchen, I baked Spiced Pumpkin Bread for dessert, which of course, I topped with Purely Decadent Made with Coconut Milk Vanilla Bean ice cream. A heavenly finish, to a deliciously compassionate Thanksgiving meal.

7 comments:

Helen said...

It really looks like you had an amazing holiday feast. As always, your photos leave me wishing I'd had dinner at your house! Thanks for all the links to the recipes. I love Ceasar Salad, but haven't had one in a long time!

marilyn said...

OMG beautiful! And to think of the leftovers! YUM! what an inspiring feast!

sandra said...

What a spread! Everything looks scrumptious. And I like the smiley face in the banana bread!

VeganMarr said...

It all looks scrumptious. I've had vegan caesar from a bottle...but with oil...would love to try an oil free one.
The spiced pumpkin bread a la mode sounds heavenly.

Batty said...

Happy (late) Thanksgiving!

Vegiegail said...

Happy Thanksgiving Batty!

The Vegan said...

I know I am waaaaay late in commenting on this post out but WOW does all that food look delicious. You really are a culinary artist!!!