Saturday, November 21, 2009

So Delicious Holiday Pumpkin Pie

Thanks so much to Pam Hornecker for sharing this delicious recipe! Of course, I served my own slice with a scoop of Purely Decadent Made with Coconut Milk Vanilla Bean ice cream! And since I'm being a good little McDougall girl, I didn't eat the crust.


For the Pie Crust:

1 1/3 cups flour
¼ tsp salt
1/3 cup canola oil
2-3 Tbs ice water

Combine flour and salt in a bowl. Sprinkle flour mixture with oil, and mix with a fork, should look sort of crumbly. Sprinkle the flour mixture with water, 1 tablespoon at a time until it is moist and comes away from the bowl. Pat together into a ball, and put on a piece of waxed paper that has been set on a dampened counter to keep it in place. Top with another piece of waxed paper and roll out into a circle a little bigger than the pie pan. Transfer to pie pan, and flute top edge of crust with fingers or a fork.

For the Filling:

2 cups pumpkin (15 oz can or ½ of larger can)
1 cup So Delicious Coconut Milk Original Creamer
1 6-oz carton So Delicious Coconut Milk Vanilla Yogurt
¾ cup organic sugar
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ginger
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp allspice
2 Tbs tapioca (instant granulated)

Mix together pumpkin and creamer until blended, then add in the vanilla yogurt and sugar. Add all spices and blend thoroughly, then stir in tapioca until well blended. Pour into pie crust, and bake at 425° for 15 minutes, then reduce oven to 350°, and bake for another 40-45 minutes. It may still look like it's not quite set in middle, but as it cools it sets up. Let cool before serving, and refrigerate any left over. Makes 8 servings.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, yay! Just in time! I'm going to buy all of the ingredients today!

dd03 said...

yumm! I might be able to do this. I just need to find the So Delicious products! Can't always find them.
thanks!

roxanne said...

The only thing I hadn't figured out was how to make a dairy and soy-free pumpkin pie! Thank you so much!

Diane_Rico said...

Sounds delicious! I can't wait to try this recipe. I can't think of anything better for Thanksgiving dessert than vegan pumpkin pie and Purely Decadent coconut milk ice cream!

janice said...

I just found the creamer, and it's fantastic! Now, all I need is the yogurt, and I can make this delicious-looking pie!

dave g said...

I'm diving in today! Only change...gonna make a cinnamon graham cracker crust instead :)

Vegiegail said...

Hope your pie came out great, Dave! I actually made mine with a cinnamon graham cracker crust this year, too!

Diana said...

What could I sub for tapioca? Flaxseed/an egg?

Vegiegail said...

Diana, you could use another starch, or for an even firmer pie, try this delicious recipe from Allison Rivers Samson that uses agar and kudzu: http://blog.allisonsgourmet.com/2014/11/03/thanksgiving-recipe-vegan-praline-pecan-pumpkin-pie/