Friday, November 06, 2009

Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
and ... The Winner is ...

My very favorite thing about this time of year (aside from all of the spectacular foliage), is pumpkin pie! And not just pumpkin pie, but also pumpkin pie brownies, pumpkin pie cupcakes, pumpkin pie ice cream (hint to Turtle Mountain), and just about anything else that can be made with pumpkin and the dreamily aromatic combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves. Inspired by this recipe I recently found at eatrundoyoga.com, I decided to try my hand this morning at my own version of a vegan pumpkin pie smoothie. The result was rich, creamy, and delicious, with just a hint of coconut and all the spicy goodness of pumpkin pie. My version is not only dairy- and gluten-free, but soy-free, too.


Ingredients:

2 cups So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage (I used Original, but you could use Vanilla, too)
2 tablespoons agave nectar (or sweetener of choice, to taste)
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 ripe banana
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice -or- 1/4 tsp ginger and 1/4 tsp nutmeg and a pinch of cloves
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (use 1/4 tsp, if you are using vanilla coconut milk beverage)

Directions:

Blend all together, pour, and enjoy! Makes 2 servings.

The winner of three free Turtle Mountain product coupons is ... shakay. Congratulations! Your coupons are in the mail, and I hope you'll soon be enjoying more of your favorite So Delicious and Purely Decadent treats. Many thanks to everyone for your very delicious ice cream flavor ideas. Perhaps we'll see a few them come to fruition!

12 comments:

Gabriella said...

Oh, yum! And it's not only dairy free, and gluten free, but soy free, too! Woo hoo!

VAL said...

Awesome! That sounds yummy!

I think you could also replace the banana with more pumpkin and a bit more agave, if you're like me and don't really like banana aftertaste in non-banana creations.

VegNMarr said...

yummy! pass some thru the computer!
And yeah, egg nog soy or coconut ice cream would be heavenly this time of year! :-)

Vegiegail said...

Gabriella, it's wonderful when I come up with a recipe that meets the dietary needs of all my friends!

Hi Val! I honestly didn't taste the banana, but yes, you could try adding more pumpkin and agave. You may need to add a pinch more of the spices, too, as pumpkin is a bit stronger than banana.

Marr, what a great coconut milk ice cream holiday lineup of flavors this would be: "Egg" nog, pumpkin pie, and pistachio-black cherry (green and red!)

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!!! No soy! Oh, thank you! I love pumpkin anything so this is awesome! I do not find that I taste the banana at all. For me it it simply adds to the sweetness of the smoothie. I am not really a fan of bananas and I didn't taste it at all. I also left out the agave and it still taste great.

Anonymous said...

Oh, this does sound goood! I can't wait to try it. I think I'll make it for breakfast for my little ones tomorrow morning.

Marilyn said...

thanks Val, I'm gonns try your banana-free version - it sounds SO FABULOUS with the coconut milk and pumpkin! m-m-m-m-m-m. I have an old pumpkin bisque recipe that i used to make for thanksgiving, it was delicious but called for heavy cream - so Zi'm gonna try it with a mix of the coconut milk and the the So Delicious coconut coffee creamer....

Vegiegail said...

Ooh, Marilyn, please do let us know how that pumpkin bisque comes out!

Abby Bean said...

Good call to Turtle Mountain (and any other vegan i/c companies out there); we need seasonal flavors too!

Julia said...

Looks yummy! :)

The Vegan said...

I am with Gabriella, she said it all for me. DF, GF and SF. Yum!!!

Tori said...

I found this as I was looking for a Paleo version of the Pumpkin Pie Smoothie. It is DELICIOUS!!! Much better than others I've made from other recipes found online. Don't forget the ice though- or just freeze your banana so you have a little texture. Thanks for sharing!