Friday, October 09, 2009

A Couple of Very Special Desserts

Who doesn't love a bundt cake? This recipe for Chocolate-Orange Cake from the FatFree Vegan Kitchen was an instant hit at our house.

While mine wasn't nearly as pretty as Susan V's, it tasted divine, all the same. The denseness of this chewy cake complimented the sweet icing deliciously. Once again we felt like we were sneaking in a bit of forbidden indulgence. But without even a hint of oil or Earth Balance, this cake managed to be surprisingly moist. Of course I just had to substitute my favorite So Delicious Coconut Milk Yogurt for the soy yogurt called for in the recipe. The very, very subtle hint of coconut it added to the cake sent it completely over the top for me.


When I found out that one of my dearest friends was going to be driving all the way up from LA to visit, I had to bake her something special. I thought those Wonderful Chocolate Black Bean Brownies would be a nice, healthy, sweet way to show some love. But since my friend, Meryl Ann, is gluten intolerant, I substituted all-purpose gluten-free flour for the wheat flour, and the results were spectacular! Since Meryl Ann is not on the McDougall program, I treated her to some Purely Decadent Coconut Milk Cookie Dough ice cream, too. Had I been thinking ahead at the time, I would have also taken a photo of her face lighting up like a Christmas tree when she took the first bite. But here's a photo of her dessert, just after that first bite. And well, click on the pic, and zoom in for a closeup. You can pretty much imagine what her face looked like, can't you?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to reach right in there and grab that brownie!

veganf said...

I have 2 bundt pans I've NEVER used...now if only I had an occasion, I bet I could decorate it for Halloween!

I'll gave to try making zucchini brownies GF...my sister might appreciate it!

disabled account said...

well, well! i've been thinking of bundt cake ALL DAY and needed a low fat recipe! this is what i call sychronicity!

thanks!!

@veganf...you don't need an occasion for cake! :)

diane said...

Gluten-free brownies AND coconut milk cookie dough ice cream? I think I'd be in gluten-free heaven!

Lots in Samara Costa Rica said...

That deserts looks so delicious, thanks for the sites, are very useful.